The name Barano it is for the first time in a 1374 plaque (according to others in 1270) reminiscent of some of the works of Bishop Bartholomew Bussolaro. The etymology uncertain: according to some it derives from the Latin expression “contra moerorem”, according to others would rather “delightful place”, others will identify the origin of the word “balneum”, others still in the expression “Vario farm”. Some variants were used in ancient Borano and Varrano.
The first of Barano colonizers were the Greeks, who built at the source of Nitrodi a nymph under the protection of the nymphs and Apollo, god of beauty and health. The oldest finds, received in Nitrodi site, consist of reliefs (now preserved in the National Archaeological Museum of Naples), some marble inscriptions, the Roman Empire coins and shards of daily use tools.
Initially only called Barano, in 1862 the City Council chose the name Barano d’Ischia is composed of several locations: Vatoliere, Piedimonte, Fiaiano, Testaccio, Maronti, Buonopane. Buonopane is also famous for its medicinal water of Nitrodi source. The name of the house of Moropano, that Greeks and Romans knew, attended and appreciated, comes from the greek Mur – Pan, meaning all cable (or all quarries). This also explains the town located right between the “cave” of Pallarito, Candiano, Terzano and Nitrodi.
It is a typical town of the hill that still preserves rural characteristics. The entrance in the village is marked from the ancient aqueduct called the Pillars (1470). Of note, the Torre dei Saraceni in Testaccio, the windmills of Montebarano wind, the doors placed at the entrance of some estates notables of the past, hundreds of wine cellars dug into the tuff (for storing wines) and had snow (for store ice for the summer).
We should also mention the houses in carusiello from which it originates dance called A vattut ‘and ll’astreche,  as well as the Fiaiano from where you can admire the postcard of the Gulf of Naples.
interesting points, also from the tourist point of view are, for example, the beach Maronti which, like the rest of the island, has modern hotel complexes; the aforementioned Fiaiano pine forest, the hill of Cretaio (homonym church of the eighteenth century), the Buceto sources, the hill Schiappone (Madonna di Montevergine church sec. XVII), as well as the villages of Testaccio, Buonopane (famous for the ‘ ancient folk dance of Mascarata and for Nitrodi spring, popular for its waters that have diuretic and anti-uric) and Piedimonte.
In San Giorgio in Testaccio was dedicated a chapel in the sixteenth century, enlarged several times, was elevated to a parish in 1599, although the oldest document in which is mentioned the church is only the 1687. Subsequently, in the nineteenth century. It was added a right aisle incorporating the adjacent then Congregation of St. Mary of Constantinople already enlarged in 1773 and in 1854 was built from scratch the left aisle. The marble baptistery of 1792, work of the master Angelo Mansilli Procida.
To see, ultimately, how to Barano square, which is the heart of all activities, home to two churches: St. Sebastian and St. Rocco. On one side of the square you can see the buildings of 1700 and 1800. Finally, the church of San Giovanni Battista, one of the oldest (1400) with a painting dating back to the school of Caravaggio.
Roman Baths Cavascura
Source of Nitrodi